Hatha and Yin Yoga in Swindon
Welcome to my Yoga website, my aim is to deliver interesting and varied Yoga classes of both Hatha and Yin Styles.
What you can expect out of a Hatha Yoga class with me
- Time to settle in
- Gentle postures to warm up
- Focus on an action/body part/idea
- Time to ease down
- Meditation and/or breathing practice
Some elements of classes will stay the same, I usually include a spinal sequence to take the spine in all its directions. This not only acts as a warm up it also provides a benchmark for you to check your progress. When the spine is healthy we are in a better place to work on other parts of the body
What benefits are likely from practicing Yoga
- Physically - strength, flexibility and balance can improve
- Mentally - Reduction in stress levels
- Other benefits can include better sleep quality, improved posture, overall quality of life and feeling of wellbeing.
What happens in a Yin class
Poses are nearly all floor based and held for longer periods of time to allow joints to open and connective tissue to lengthen. There is no strengthening work or balances as often found in Hatha Yoga
- Time to settle in
- A short period of loosening major joints
- A sequence of poses around a theme (e.g. Spine, Hips, Shoulders, Digestion)
- A pause between poses to let the body reset
Benefits of Yin Yoga
- Increased range of motion in joints
- As the class is slower paced the link between mind, body and breath is enhanced
- Stress reduction
Whether you are practicing Hatha or Yin Yoga, it can be a time to step out of the busy external world and bring yourself into a space where you can focus on yourself. Time for your body, time for your mind, time to connect with your breath.
My first Yoga teacher Frances Lewis for many years of Yoga classes and her gentle encouragement to take up teacher training
Mary Mackie and Lesley Isaacson for all their deep wisdom and insight passed on during Teacher Training with BWY
All my Yoga students past and present -you may not realise but I learn from you everyday.